Tuesday 26 June 2012

Genesis chapter 5


Whilst this is a seemingly boring list of Adam's descendants right through from Seth to Noah, I love how the bible throws in little snippets of information that really make you wish you knew more of the story.  Here, for instance, are a few verses concerning Enoch, who became the father of Methuselah when he was 65.  He walked with God for 300 years after that and then he was no more, because God took him away:

Genesis 5:21-24 When Enoch was sixty-five years old, he had Methuselah. Enoch walked steadily with God. After he had Methuselah, he lived another 300 years, having more sons and daughters. Enoch lived a total of 365 years.  Enoch walked steadily with God. And then one day he was simply gone: God took him. (The Message)

Imagine that!  He had such a close walk with God that instead of dying, like everyone else, God just took him up to heaven to continue the conversation in person!  I just think that is amazing, and that is the sort of walk I want.  Not the hurried few minutes here and there, my mind busy elsewhere, but a deep and lasting relationship where God knows what I am thinking (which I know He does anyway) and I know what God is thinking, when we spend time just being together, soaking in his presence. 

Yet it is so difficult in this busy world to find the time, to stop and make a conscious decision to spend time with God instead of finishing off that piece of work , doing that chore, watching that TV programme or reading that book.  There are only so many hours in a day and there is so much to do, so many things that need my attention, it is a case of really having to focus, to get my priorities right, because after all, what could be more important than spending time with God, the Creator of the Universe, the Lord God Almighty, Jehovah-Jirah?  Because surely, if I get that right, if I make God my priority, then everything else will flow from there?

No comments: