Friday 29 June 2012

Genesis chapter 8


On the seventeenth day of the seventh month, the ark came to rest on one of the mountain in the Ararat region which is in Turkey. It then took another two and a half months before the waters went down. On the first day of the tenth month, they could see the tops of the mountains and then forty days later, Noah sent out a raven from the ark. The raven just flew back and forth until the waters dried up, so Noah sent out a dove and the dove returned to the ark because it could find nowhere to perch on as there was still so much water covering the earth. Noah waited another seven days and sent out the dove again and it came back with an olive leaf in its beak so Noah knew the flood was almost over.

Noah then waited another seven days and sent out the dove for the third time. This time the dove did not return. So Noah opened the hatch of the ark to have a look around and he saw dry ground. It took almost another two months before the earth was completely dry. Noah was still waiting on God and it was not until God told them it was ok that they left the ark.

I love the way Noah waits on God. I mean, there they are, having been cooped up in the ark for months on end and the rain stops, the waters gradually recede until they can see the land. What a temptation that must have been, to just jump out of the ark and step onto the ground. Ok, it might not have been much of a temptation at first, as the land was drying, when they could see it was all muddy and that they would likely get stuck in the mud at the very least. But what about when it looked like it was completely dry, when the earth started drying up and cracking? Then they must have thought it was safe to go out. But no, they waited on God to let them know, through the birds, whether it was the right time to leave the ark.

It is easy to jump in, to think we know the time is right, that we are ready, and yet God knows whether the ground is soft, squishy and muddy, too wet to walk on in safety, or if it is completely dry, a safe path to take. Noah was careful to wait on God, and this I think is an example to us all. I know there are times when I think I know what God wants me to do, and want to rush in and get the job started. But sometimes, it is a matter of waiting, of having patience, and letting God set the timetable not me. Not necessarily an easy thing to do these days, in this fast paced world where everything has to be instantaneous.

Then Noah , his family and all the animals and birds leave the ark. But what is the first thing that Noah does? Choose a good spot to live and build a nice house? Have a good long walk to stretch his legs? Go exploring to see what type of place they had ended up in? Nope, he builds an altar to God, selects clean animals from every species (he'd brought seven pairs of each clean animal on the ark) and offers them to God.

Genesis 8:21 The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: ‘Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done. (NIV)

Noah's first priority was God and giving Him the thanks and the praise. What an example to live up to. How often do I start off with good intentions but then "self" takes over. Instead of spending a quiet time with God, seeking His presence, I end up checking emails, starting work early because I have deadlines to meet, even jut messing about on the computer or in the office doing "stuff" (all of which seems so interesting at the time but in reality is just time wasting). Is my first thought God when I get out of bed in a morning? Do I rush into the office to do my readings, spend time with God and let everything else go? Is God really my priority in life or do other things take over? I have to admit, there are far too many times when real life takes over and God gets pushed to one side.



No comments: