Tuesday 8 July 2008

Micah chapter 5

Trying to do a catch up here, so two chapters posted today!

These are the wonderful promises of Jesus, how he would be born in Bethlehem and one day, he will return and we will all live securely. But for me, the one verse that really stood out was "he will be their peace." That is filled with so much hope and promise and is actually what Jesus said to his disciples:

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Have you ever just sat there, whether at home, work, church, in the car, out and about, and just known the presence of God, the peace that passes all understanding filling your body, your heart, your soul, wrapped around you like a large, comfy duvet, permeating through every pore in your body, filling you with calm? Or when things are hectic, when you just don't know which way to turn, found yourself longing for peace, for comfort, a hug?

The peace that comes from Jesus is the peace we can each have so that no matter what is going on around us, whether the house is falling down, a loved one is sick, you’re about to be made redundant or laid off at work, there isn't enough money to pay the bills, it seems like it is one problem after another that needs to be sorted and it is all down to you, the children are being absolute monsters and you wonder exactly who their parents are because there is no way that child could really be yours, surely…. It is a case of putting everything in the hands of Jesus, of turning all our burdens, our worries, each and every one of them, to Jesus, and trusting him, that no matter what is happening, He is there with you, beside you, and He is crying with you, laughing with you, rejoicing with you, grieving with you. Because bad things happen, even to believers.

But He is our peace. He is our hope, our comfort, our refuge and shelter in times of trouble, and those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty (Psalm 91). We may not know why things are happening to us, we may not see an end to the troubles but all things work to the good for those that love the Lord and are called according to his purpose.

I know from the things that have happened to me that I am more compassionate, more understanding, more sympathetic, even though at times I know it doesn't come across as this (you only have to ask my children how many times I tell them "tough, get on with it"). We may never know why we have had to go through certain things (I have a long list of questions for God in a box in my head ready to ask when I get to heaven, although chances are, by the time I get there I will be so overwhelmed I will forget them all!) but we can know the peace of God, the peace of Jesus, the comfort of the Holy Spirit.

He will be our peace.

No comments: